Prepare Your Tezu
Sushi Su, or Seasoned Rice Vinegar, is an integral part to the sushi making process.
It is the seasoning to the sushi rice, and gives the flavour another dimension. Sushi Su is pre-mixed with the all important sugar and salt so you can get straight to it.
Your first step is to prepare your vinegar-water solution called tezu.
Asian markets sell bottles of pre-made sushi vinegar(Marukan and Mitsukan are excellent), but making it yourself is quite easy.
You start with rice vinegar — no other kind will work.
Prepare Your Sushi Vinegar
– Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together in a small saucepan.
– Heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
– Remove from heat and let your sushi vinegar cool to room temperature.
– These ingredients should be stirred until the mixture is clear, and can be refrigerated.
– However, it should be room temperature when added to the rice.
When it comes to measurement, the rule is usually to add 1/5 of the uncooked weight of rice in seasoning.
So 500gr of rice would need a 100ml of seasoning…i personally put a little more…personal taste!
The rice will taste acidic to start and this will evaporate quickly…dont worry!